Tuesday, July 20, 2010

EOC: Exercise Ch. 1

Find a fashion advertisement. Identify any historical, social, or cultural icons in the ad and share the story the ad is trying to tell the viewers. How does this ad make the consumer want to purchase the product?






This ad by SISLEY is disturbing yet intriguing. It tells me that fashion is like a drug and it’s hard to withdraw from it. It is controversial in the way that the dress is appeared to be made out of cocaine, but fashion is art and art is meant to grab you and pull you in. This ad pulls me directly in and makes me contemplate what it is I am really looking at. This ad also is telling me look at this dress and these models they live and breathe fashion and love to shop. They will do whatever to keep their hands on it or be a part of the industry in some way. I love that intensity. It shows a passion for this art and a love for this brand.

This ad I feel makes the consumer want to go to the SISLEY store or website to look around even if they don’t purchase anything. Their ads make the consumer want to discover more about this brand. It made me look at their website. I wanted to see if they had any more outrageous ads and I wanted to see what type or merchandise they have. Ads that make you curious are the ones who grab you and pull you straight into the door. It’s a great tool because we are all human and are very curious beings.

One thing is for sure, with fashion you can turn into a junkie but hopefully the junkie that buys tons of clothes and accessory (hoarder) not a coke head as portrayed by the model on the right. She freaks me out and makes me turn a away from the ad in horror of how realistic she looks and I fear if I look at this brand anymore I may become the models twin. But you got to love the realism portrayed in this ad and the attention to grab the consumer in and keep them in for a good few minutes to try and see what the hell this ad is supposed to depict.

No comments:

Post a Comment