Friday, July 30, 2010

Midterm: Secret Antiperspirant


Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman

"Since 1956, Secret has been providing women the protection they need to take on life fearlessly — to live arms up. Today, we continue in our push to help women live fearlessly through innovation and inspiration.”( http://www.secret.com/deodorant-history.aspx)


Secret was introduced in 1956 as a cream that was applied with your fingers for underarm odor control. Although products have changed significantly since, this cream was truly innovative. Two years later, they introduced the roll-on, the spray followed in 1964 and the solid version in 1978.

“The driving force behind these early innovations was the principle that, yes, men and women have different needs from a deodorant, but a woman should never have to compromise how hard it works. The slogan "Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman" embodied this ideal and grew to become one of the most famous ad lines of all time.” (http://www.secret.com/deodorant-history.aspx)


During the 1980s, Secret adapted the solid antiperspirant/deodorant from a round stick to a wide stick and introduced three new scents: Powder Fresh, Spring Breeze and Sporty Clean. By the end of the 1980s, Procter & Gamble was the premier manufacturer of antiperspirants/deodorants, and Secret was the leading women's deodorant brand.

Since the 1980’s Secret has been coming up with new ideas to keep consumers happy and to not let the competition steal anyone away.


Secret Scent Expressions® that to date has 11 unique scents including Cherry Mischief, Va Va Vanilla and Diva La Daisy—each designed to reflect your unique individual style while letting you change it up from day to day.”(http://www.secret.com/deodorant-history.aspx) This is a great way to let woman have different scents to describe their mood or over-all feel of that day. I think it’s a great marketing idea.

“At Secret, we've been innovating since 1956 and we will continue to do so, with our goal always being to give you excellent odor and wetness protection to help you take on each day fearlessly.” (http://www.secret.com/deodorant-history.aspx)


“Try as I might to find a "green" deodorant that doesn't have aluminum, in the end there are some risks apparently I am willing to take but smelling bad just isn't one of them.

Secret has worked great for me for many, many years. I am a scent lover but when it comes to deodorant, I really don't care. I'll get my scent fix with other beauty products and with deodorant; I just really want to avoid scents if you know what I mean.


I generally stand in front of the Secret section and pick out which ever scent is on sale. There almost always is one. Last month there was not which made my eyes wander... over to Dove.

I chose Dove ultimate go fresh cool essential cucumber & green tea scent. I am glad I did.


Here's what I like about Dove deodorant:

*The one click turning bottom to raise deodorant as oppose to the "wheel" that can raise it too high if you're impatient and get happy turning the wheel.

*The cucumber & green tea extract scent really is refreshing in the morning after all. (I don't notice it after I apply, just during but it really is nice.)

*The dispenser is made for my hands. Taller and narrower than other brands for easy pick up and handling.

*Dove really feels soft and smooth going on. (More so than Secret.)

*It works. This of course is the bottom with a deodorant. My days may consist of any combination of teaching, cooking, cleaning, kayaking, playing tennis, hiking, dancing, gardening or meeting writing deadlines. Every day involves chasing kids and dogs and if he's lucky, my husband. I need a deodorant that successfully hangs with me through my entire busy day.”(http://www.viewpoints.com/Dove-Dove-Ultimate-Go-Fresh-cool-essentials-review-f0588)


It seems from this viewpoint Secret may have some competition. If more companies start making “green” products there is going to be an uprising I think on whom consumers will turn to. Since everyone wants to go “green” apparently certain changes are most likely in affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment