Friday, July 30, 2010

Midterm: Johnny Cupcakes




“This didn't all happen overnight, and I didn't get lucky with some random idea– I got off my bum and did something with myself. My name is Johnny, and I make clothes with cupcakes on ‘em. Have you had your cupcake today?” (http://shop.johnnycupcakes.com/story/)

Johnny Cupcakes is not your typical bakery it’s a bakery of delicious cupcake t-shirts, accessories, hats, etc. I just recently heard about Johnny Cupcakes from my teacher Stephanie Laborde and now I just recently found out why this brand was so familiar. When looking at his site it dawned on me; the headquarters is located in Weymouth, MA, and for those who don’t know that is where I grew up. What a small yet mind-boggling world.

Customers like and appreciate the story and work ethic behind Johnny’s brand. He started this as a joke from the trunk of his beat up '89 Toyota Camry. A college dropout Free of drugs and liquor, he never partied but instead focused only on brainstorming and sketching up his wacky ideas. He turned down investors and took countless risks like keeping his shirts out of chain stores. Johnny chose quality over quantity.

“I'd rather have a strong brand filled with knowledgeable customers who truly enjoy and appreciate what I've created instead of making a quick buck– being just another fad. People like what nobody else has, and I love coming out with limited edition, exclusive shirts rather than mass-producing things. Once a shirt is sold out, I never produce them again.” (http://shop.johnnycupcakes.com/story/)

Johnny hangs out with his customers, talks to them, and he builds memorable experiences with them at his in-store events and through the little details that he put into everything." Paying attention to my customers and treating them as individuals just makes sense to me– I wouldn't be here without them!”( http://shop.johnnycupcakes.com/story/)

Most companies try to cut as many corners so that they can to turn a better profit.
Johnny does the exact opposite and pay very close attention to all the little things.
Without selling out, he has managed to build a multi-million dollar business, completely homegrown. And he has done it without going your typical route. No college education, no start up loans, no investors, no wholesaling or help from giant stores, and little-to-no advertising. He has managed to employ both of his parents, sister, neighbor, and all of his close friends so that they didn't have to work jobs they don't enjoy.“My untraditional way of going about business has led to a huge international cult following for my brand."(http://shop.johnnycupcakes.com/story/)

You'll see hundreds of dedicated people in line at his releases– even tons of people with Johnny Cupcakes tattoos! Most of his customers are repeat customers. Every type of person collects, understands, and appreciates his obscure brand– chefs, bakers, fashionable people, college students, artsy kids, thugs, indie rockers, designers, skaters, sneaker heads, food enthusiasts, and people of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment